Do you have questions around NDIS plan management?
The introduction of the NDIS scheme is extremely beneficial to many Australians living with disability. However, managing your NDIS funding can be quite confusing and time consuming.
That’s why, as a registered NDIS provider, Care Support Network is here to help support you.
Here are some of the most frequently asked questions we receive regarding NDIS plan management.
What Is NDIS Plan Management?
Plan Management is one of the three management options that NDIS participants can choose when it comes to managing their NDIS funding. The categories are:
- NDIA Managed (or Agency Managed): The NDIA holds funds and pays authorised registered providers on your behalf
- Self-Managed: The NDIA reimburses the funding you use to manage your own NDIS supports. This allows you flexibility and choice, but also means there are several responsibilities you have to uphold.
- Plan Managed: The NDIA provides your plan manager with funding, who then pays providers for you and completes your financial reporting. They also supply you with clear financial reports, helping you to keep track of your budget and make informed decisions about how your funds are spent.
If none of these options completely suit your needs, you can also choose a fourth management option which allows you to use a combination of the above.
What Does a Plan Manager Do?
A plan manager helps take care of the financial side of your NDIS funding so that you can enjoy the benefits and supports it was designed to afford you. Some of the things a plan manager is responsible for include:
- Receiving invoices, either directly from the service provider or through you, the NDIS participant
- Claiming through the NDIS portal
- Paying service provider invoices
- Providing you with monthly statements, which include the summary of expenditure and breakdown of budget totals remaining
Depending on the plan manager you choose and your individual circumstances, a plan manager may also act as a service intermediary or expand on your skill set, meaning they may also:
- Help you choose your providers
- Establish agreements with your chosen providers regarding services
- Help you explore different budgeting options
- Support you as you build your financial literacy
- Help you develop self-management skill
Why Should I Use a Plan Manager?
There are several advantages to using a plan manager over selecting to be NDIA managed or self-managed.
For example, unlike NDIA managed funds, you can hire supports from non-NDIS registered providers, such as local community members or some therapists who may have not yet registered. Furthermore, a plan manager will deal with the NDIS portal for you.
Perhaps the biggest advantage, however, is that you have a partner when it comes to navigating the complexities of managing your NDIS funding, and someone who will help you make the most of your plan.
With a plan manager, you get many of the advantages of a self-managed NDIS fund – such as flexibility and choice regarding the supports you choose – but without the administrative burden or weight of responsibility.
When Do I Have to Choose a Plan Manager?
You will generally be asked your preferred method of management during your planning meeting, which is why it’s a good idea to pre-plan before the meeting.
At this point, you can select a specific plan manager, otherwise you or your nominee can make this decision once the plan has been approved.
Do I Have to Stick with the Same Management selection for the Whole Time I’m Under the NDIS?
Yes, for consistency we ask you to stick with your initial management decision for the duration of your NDIS journey. However, circumstances can change so you can request a plan review at anytime.
For example, you may initially choose to self-manage; however, if you are going through a particularly busy time, you may seek the help of a plan manager.
What Does Care Support Network’s Plan Management Entail?
Care Support Network wants to help you experience the benefits of the NDIS scheme without having to get bogged down in the time-consuming administrative side. We want to give you the time and freedom to focus on the more important things in life.
Care Support Network’s plan managers are experts at what they do and know how to navigate the complexities of the NDIS. Through our personalised service, you no longer have to worry about the financial aspect of the NDIS – we will claim invoices under the appropriate budget in your NDIS plan and send you monthly statements so you can keep track of your expenses and how much of your budget is still left.
With us, you can be sure your invoices will be paid within 4 working days and we will also ensure that all your support providers are working within NDIS guidelines.
Care Support Network Plan Management
If you have any more questions about your NDIS plan management, or would like to consult Care Support Network about providing you with plan management, feel free to get in contact with us today